Saturday, September 10, 2016

My review of Kids Deserve It!



I fell in love with this book starting with the title. I feel a strong connection to its message and recommend it to anyone who works in a school. The book itself is an enjoyable read. It does not rely on research or jargon. It is easy to read and apply to everyday school life regardless your role. The chapters are short and perfect for busy educators who strive to fit in as much personal development as possible in the midst of a bust schedule. As I've read the book and shared my thoughts on Twitter I've had the opportunity to interact with the authors, Todd Nesloney and Adam Welcome. They are highly active on Twitter, Periscope, and Voxer. They are both very responsive and clearly practice what they preach in their book. I kinda feel like I know Todd and Adam. They both have what I call "Ed Cred". They are still in education, not retirees who only speak at conferences. They are real practitioners and they know what it's like in schools today.  It's the perfect fuel for all educators who serve on the front lines of public education. It reminds us all why we chose to be educators. KDI meshes two major themes: giving students our all and being innovative risk takers as we go. It's exactly what this 15 year veteran needed to read over the summer. It definitely helped me get fired up for the 2016-2017 school year. KDI has had a huge impact on my daily performance as an assistant principal so far this school year. I'm all in on KDI. My staff is participating in an innovative book study with it this fall. As we read, we will be responding and reflecting via Twitter. I am also hoping to convince Todd and Adam to hold a Google Hangout with us during a staff meeting. Maybe they will read this shameless plug and be game! I cannot wait until our KDI book study begins. It will be so exciting to see the impact this great book has on my teammates and more importantly I cannot wait until I am able to see the impact it has on our students. Order the book today and thank me later because......Kids Deserve It!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the kind words and awesome post! And duh, of course I'll GHO in with you guys :-)

    ReplyDelete