Thursday, September 15, 2016

What will students say about you?

Have you ever heard students talk honestly about teachers? I have. Sometimes it is flattering and positive. Other times it is sad and depressing. Here are some examples of how this conversation could go: 
Whose class were you in last year? Did you enjoy that class?  The next sentence could be. 

I had Mrs. "So-in-So" She was awesome. She is the best. He is my favorite. 

Or it could go something like this:

She was always mad. He was funny. He didn't like me. She was tough. He was always busy. 

The response is usually short and I've also found that it is either positive or negative. Very rarely is it a neutral review. You teach a kid for a year, 180 days. That is 1,440 hours. They will be able to sum you up in a blurb. In one sentence.  It will be based on how you made them feel most of the time or how you made them feel one particular time. They could have felt awesome and empowered or disrespected and mortified. This snapshot could be justified or unjustified. We must be intentional with our actions as we serve our students. We believe in them. We are their champion. They are better because they are our students. No matter how tough a student is, we can still prove to them that we are a caring adult that wants good things for them. 

What message are you sending kids? What do you want them saying about you? I want the following: 


He is Mr. Parrish. He cares about us, he believe in me. If I don't to the right thing he will call my mama. I can come to him with anything because he has my back. He is fair and he treats me right. He listens. I want to be like him. 

It sure beats: He won't do anything. He won't show up for me. He doesn't care. He doesn't listen to me. He doesn't even know my name.  

Seize all opportunities that you have to make a positive difference in the life of a child. Never forget the impact that a positive, caring adult can have. Deliver discipline with dignity. Model that we may not always agree with each other but we can always respect one another. Give high fives and hugs often. Look a student in the eye and tell them that you believe in them. Smile and tell them hello. Call their mom because you saw them make a caring gesture. Tell them you have their back. Encourage them. Tell them to have a good day and you look forward to seeing them again tomorrow.   
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."-Ghandi

No comments:

Post a Comment